We are glad to give notice that a Call for Papers for the workshop with Robert Brandom organized by the University of Paderborn is now open. The event, entitled Brandom’s A Spirit of Trust from a Logical Point of View, will take place on July 14th-15th, 2021.
Organisation: Volker Peckhaus, Elena Ficara.
The deadline for abstracts submissions (200 words) is May 15th, 2021.
Below you can find the presentation of the event and the text of the call.
In his impressive book A Spirit of Trust, Robert Brandom has given a new interpretation of Hegel’s Phenomenology of Spirit. The book is not only an exegesis of Hegel’s early book, but also, and perhaps more importantly, the culmination of a longstanding work of mediation between Hegel and analytical philosophy. Notably, Robert Brandom has also produced pioneering works in the field of non-classical logics, and this makes his reading of Hegel an important reference point for anyone interested in the relationship between a Hegelian approach to the forms of thought and contemporary logic.
Aim of the workshop is to examine some concepts presented by Brandom in A Spirit of Trust that are of specifically logical relevance, and that can be useful to deepen the relationship between dialectical thought and philosophical logic.
General topics to be addressed in our workshop are (but are not restricted to):
• Brandom’s understanding of the conceptual realm (the Hegelian Begriff).
• Hegel’s negation and determinate negation according to Brandom.
• Brandom’s own logical expressivism vis à vis Hegel’s dialectical logic.
More specific questions are (but are not restricted to):
• The interplay between alethic modal and deontic normative vocabulary in Brandom’s reading of Hegel’s Phenomenology of Spirit.
• The strategy of semantic descent in Brandom’s reading of Hegel’s Phenomenology of Spirit.
Please send 200 words abstracts by May 15, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.orgPrintable Version