hpd-digest offers an overview of the most recent activities, events and publications involving the members of hegelpd, the Research Group on Classical German Philosophy in Padova. It also includes the main events taking place in Padova, as well as the general research topics on which we are currently focusing.
In this issue you can find information regarding three new hegelpd members, as well as the general presentation of the topic of this year’s research seminar, devoted to the presence (and influence) of Hegel’s thought in various contemporary philosophical debates. The last three Padova Hegel Lectures are included, along with the links to videos of the recordings. As for the featured news, you can find information about the hegelpd-prize 2021 and the new call for papers for the special issue of Verifiche on Feminist Metaphilosophy. We are happy to share our last hegelian Interview with Héctor Ferreiro and the video of our first hegelian Talk with Stefania Achella. At the end of the Digest we share the awards and fellowships obtained by some of our members as well as a list of our new releases, workshops and talks.
2020-2021 PADOVA RESEARCH SEMINAR
PADOVA HEGEL LECTURES
CFP: SPECIAL ISSUE
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIP
WORKSHOP AND TALKS
hegelpd welcomed three new members: Barbara Santini, Laura Dequal, Mattia Megli.
Barbara Santini received her PhD in Philosophy from the University of Padova. She has studied at the universities of Roma and Padova. She was DAAD PhD fellow at the Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen and OeAD post-doctoral fellow at Universität Wien. Currently, she is adjunct professor of philosophy of religion at the Department of Philosophy, Sociology, Education and Applied Psychology at the University of Padova and adjunct professor of theoretical philosophy and moral philosophy at the Higher Institute of Religious Sciences of the Theological Faculty of Triveneto. Her areas of research include classical German philosophy (especially Kant, Hölderlin, Fichte, Schelling), philosophy of religion and the contemporary debate on metaphysics and modernity. She has published several articles on these topics and the volume Soggetto e fondamento in Hölderlin tra filosofia trascendentale e pensiero speculativo (Verifiche 2013), which is the reworked version of her doctoral dissertation.
Laura Dequal is a PhD student in Philosophy at the University of Padova. She got her MA at the University of Graz, where she defended a thesis on the Concept of Character in Kant and Hegel. Her research interests mainly concern the Classical German Philosophy and the Philosophy of Art.
Mattia Megli is a MA student attending the Double Degree program in Philosophy between the University of Padova and the Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena. He previously got his Bachelor at the University of Firenze, including a study period at the Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen. His academic interests mainly concern classical German philosophy, especially Hegel.
2020-2021 PADOVA RESEARCH SEMINAR
The topic of this year’s research seminar of the Doctoral School in Philosophy of the University of Padova is the presence (and influence) of Hegel’s thought in various contemporary philosophical debates, with the aim of illuminating the way contemporary philosophy relates to Hegelian philosophy. The seminar does not primarily discuss interpretative secondary literature on various aspects of Hegel’s philosophy, but rather the way in which some philosophers who have developed an autonomous and original path of thought have explicitly drawn from Hegel’s insights to articulate their philosophical projects. This will include a discussion of R. Brandom’s approach to Hegel, A.C. Danto’s Hegelian aesthetics, the peculiar twist given to Hegel’s idea by S. Žižek’s. The discussion will also touch upon Hegel’s relationship with today’s recognition theorists, the new analytical metaphysics, the different variations of ecological thought. The purpose of the meetings will be to present the different hermeneutical perspectives and to consider them in direct relationship with Hegel’s text.
Three meetings have already taken place:
Nov. 10th, 2020: general presentation of the topic of this year workshop;
Dec. 15h, 2020: Giulia Bernard presented on Hegel and the “Ljubljana School”: For a Non-Internalistic Perspective on the Philosophical Discourse;
Jan 12th, 2021: Armando Manchisi presented Self-Realization, Recognition, Alienation: The Influence of Hegel on Contemporary Critical Theory.
PADOVA HEGEL LECTURES
hegelpd organized a series of lectures with international Hegelian scholars in order to celebrate Hegel’s 250th birthday. Due to the pandemic, the lectures have been held online as Zoom meetings.
The second lecture, entitled Hegel’s Concept of Time, was held by Dina Emundts on 30th June 2020.
The third lecture, entitled Motivos da Estética de Kant na Estética de Hegel, was held by Marco Aurelio Werle on 15th September 2020.
The fourth lecture, entitled Philosophy and the World at the End—Hegelian Reflections, was held by Angelica Nuzzo on 18th December 2020.
On the occasion of hegelpd‘s seventh birthday, the call for the 2021 hegelpd-prize has been opened. The prize is awarded to high-quality scientific contributions recently appeared in the field of Hegelian studies. The author will be invited to Padova to present the work and to discuss it with the members of the research group at hegelpd.
CFP: SPECIAL ISSUE
Valentina Bortolami and Giovanna Miolli will be editors of the 2021 special issue of Verifiche on Feminist Metaphilosophy. A call for papers has been sent out.
The series Hegelian Interviews, launched in 2018 and hosted by hegelpd, has a new addition. In September 2020 we published an interview with Héctor Ferreiro.
hegelpd hosts online meetings with Hegelian scholars to discuss with them their recent publications.
The first meeting (23 June 2020) was a discussion with Stefania Achella about her recent book, Pensare la vita. Saggio su Hegel (Il Mulino, 2019), and it was chaired by Luca Illetterati.
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
Giovanna Miolli is a new ‘MSCA Seal of Excellence’ Fellow at hegelpd. Since October 2020 our research group hosts a new project that has been awarded the Seal of Excellence by the European Commission, within the framework of Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions. Giovanna Miolli will carry out her research under the supervision of Luca Illetterati and as a member of hegelpd. She will work on her project Inclusive Rationality: Rearticulating Philosophy’s Social Role Through a Dialogue Among Dialectic Hegelian Conceptual Tools, Contemporary Metaphilosophy, and Gender Perspectives in the period 2020-2023, and in cooperation with the Pontificia Universidad Católica Argentina in Buenos Aires. For more information about the project, you can watch the video published on the occasion of the virtual edition of the 2020 Venetonight – the Researchers’ Night, taking place on 27th November: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZfnQDKs7SU
Giovanna Luciano has been awarded a CAPES Print Postdoctoral Fellowship. She will be working on her project Critique, Right and Action in Hegel’s Logics at the Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sol in Porto Alegre, under the supervision of Professor José Pinheiro Pertille.
Davide Dalla Rosa has been awarded a DAAD Fellowship at the Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Marcus Willaschek. The project will regard linguistic reference to particulars and Kant’s logic.
Giulia La Rocca has been awarded a 2021 Research Fellowship at the Istituto Italiano per gli Studi Filosofici with a project entitled Continuity and discontinuity. Philosophy in history between tradition and future.
Elena Tripaldi has been awarded a DAAD Fellowship at the Freie Universität Berlin under the supervision of Professor Dina Emundts (1st April – 31st August, 2021). The project will aim at clarifying the specific nature of Hegel’s metaphysics, and to identify its contemporary interest with reference to today’s debates on grounding and monism within contemporary analytic metaphysics and meta-metaphysics.
Elena Tripaldi is also bursary at the Istituto Italiano di Studi Filosofici within the project Mappe-Un Mondo di Parole, aimed at the realization of educational videos on fundamental philosophical notions (1st January – 31 March, 2021).
Francesco Campana is a fellow at the Istituto Italiano di Studi Filosofici within the project Multiverso-Letture, aimed at the realization of video reviews of new philosophical releases and interviews with authors.
BOOKS AND JOURNALS
- «Verifiche» (Special Issue: Hegel and/in/on Translation), ed. by Saša Hrnjez and Elena Nardelli, XLIX (1-2), 2020.
- «Hegel Bulletin», ed. by Luca Illetterati and Andrea Gambarotto, 41 (3), 2020.
- «Problemata», ed. by Marloren Lopes Miranda and Michela Bordignon 11, (4), 2020.
- A Autobiografia Do Pensamiento. A Ciência Da Lógica De Hegel, ed. by D. Ferrer, F. Orsini, M. Bordignon, A. Bavaresco, C. Iber, Fundaçao, Fenix, 2020.
- Hegel, Blanchot e la fine della letteratura, by Francesco Campana, in Effetto Hegel. Eredità hegeliane e pensiero contemporaneo, ed. by F.M. Cacciatore and F. Lesce, Napoli, Guida, 2020, 97-115.
- La concezione hegeliana dell’ironia e il corso berlinese del 1828-29, by Francesco Campana, «Studi di estetica» (monographic section ‘Rethinking Hegel’s Aesthetics’, ed. by F. Iannelli, A.P. Olivier, K. Vieweg), 16, 2020, 129-145.
- On Rules of Inference in Kant’s Logic, by Davide Dalla Rosa, «Estudos Kantianos», 2020, 8 (1), 85-100.
- Traduzione, negazione, riflessione: Sulla natura negativo-contraddittoria della traduzione, by Saša Hrnjez, «Teoria. Rivista di filosofia», 2/2020, 163-185.
- L’attività del tradurre nella psicologia hegeliana: trasformazione e liberazione del soggetto finito, by Alessandro Esposito, «Verifiche» (Special Issue: Hegel and/in/on Translation), n. 1-2, 2020, 95-111.
- Is It Possible to Speak About a Hegelian Theory of Translation? On Hegels Übersetzungsbegriff and Some Paradigmatic Practices of Translation, by Saša Hrnjez and Elena Nardelli, «Verifiche» (Special Issue: Hegel and/in/on Translation), n. 1-2, 2020, V-XXVII.
- Pensare le cose nelle cose. L’anti-intellettualismo rigoroso di Leo Lugarini, by Luca Illetterati, «Il pensiero», 59 (2), 155-168, 2020.
- Al di là di epistemologia e ontologia. Sull’inattuale attualità della nuova metafisica della filosofia classica tedesca, by Luca Illetterati, in Filosofia e critica del dominio. Scritti per Leonardo Samonà, ed. by Chiara Agnello, Rosaria Caldarone, Angelo Cicatello, Rosa Maria Lupo, Palermo, Palermo University Press, 251-267.
- Hegel’s Philosophy of Biology? A Programmatic Overview, ed. by Luca Illetterati and Andrea Gambarotto, «Hegel-Bulletin», 41 (3), 1-22.
- The Realism of Purposes: Schelling and Hegel on Kant’s Critique of Teleological Judgement, by Luca Illetterati and Andrea Gambarotto, «Rivista di Estetica», (2), 2020, 106-118.
- Being Rational: Hegel on the Human Way of Being, by Luca Illetterati, in Natural Born Monads, ed. by A. Altobrando, P. Biasetti, Berlin Munich Boston, De Gruyter 89-110.
- Tra metafisica e non metafisica. Pippin interprete della Logica di Hegel, by Giulia La Rocca, «Giornale di metafisica», 42 (1), 2020, 251-260.
- Apresentação, ed. by Marloren Lopes Miranda and Michela Bordignon
- A teoria hegeliana da justificação moral, by Armando Manchisi, «Problemata. International Journal of Philosophy», 11 (4), 2020, 134-160 (trans. into Brazilian by Michela Bordignon).
- Review of Rebecca Comay, Frank Ruda, The Dash – The Other Side of Absolute Knowing, by Giulia Bernard, «Universa. Recensioni di Filosofia», 9 (1), 2020, 51-55.
- Review of Robert B. Pippin, Hegel’s Realm of Shadows. Logic as Metaphysics in The Science of Logic, by Giulia Bernard, «Universa. Recensioni di Filosofia», 9 (2), 2020, 61-66.
- Review of Birgit Sandkaulen (ed.), G.W.F. Hegel: Vorlesungen über die Ästhetik, Berlin-Boston, de Gruyter, by Francesco Campana, «Hegel-Studien», vol. 53-54, 2020, 394-400.
- Review of Francesco Campana, The End of Literature, Hegel, and the Contemporary Novel by Laura Dequal, Iride. Filosofia e discussione pubblica, vol. XXXIII, N. 90, 2020, 451-453.
- Review of Jamila M. H. Mascat, Sabina Tortorella, eds. Hegel & Sons. Filosofie del riconoscimento [Hegel&Sons. Philosophies of Recognition] by Eleonora Cugini, «Hegel-Studien», vol. 53-54, 2020, 52-56.
- Review of Saša Hrnjez, Sintesi e mediazione tra criticismo e idealismo speculativo by Alessandro Esposito, «Hegel-Studien», vol. 53-54, 2020, 360-361.
- Review of Pablo Manolo Rodríguez, Las palabras en las cosas. Saber, poder y subjetivación entre algoritmos y biomoléculas, by Marco Ferrari, «Universa. Recensioni di Filosofia», 9 (1), 2020, 100-105.
- Review of Claudio Cavallari, Foucault con Lacan. La produzione discorsiva del soggetto, by Marco Ferrari, «Filosofia politica», 34 (2), 2020, 371-374.
- Review of Roberto Morani, Rileggere Hegel. Tempo, soggetto, negatività, dialettica, by Giulia La Rocca, «Verifiche», 49 (1-2), 2020, 353-358.
- Review of Roberto Morani, Rileggere Hegel. Tempo, soggetto, negatività, dialettica, by Giovanna Luciano, «Hegel-Studien», vol.53-53, 2020, 58-60.
- Review of Elisa Magrì, Hegel e la genesi del concetto. Autoriferimento, memoria, incarnazione, Padova, Verifiche, by Giovanna Miolli, «Hegel Bulletin», 2020, 1-5.
- Review of Susanne Herrmann-Sinai and Lucia Ziglioli (eds.). Hegel’s Philosophical Psychology, Abingdon and New York, Routledge, by Giovanna Miolli, «Hegel Bulletin», 41 (3) [Special Issue: Hegel and the Philosophy of Biology], 2020, 469-474.
Workshops and Talks
Barbara Santini, Hölderlin und die Konstellation der Klassischen Deutschen Philosophie: Denken und Literatur, Padova: Scuola Galileiana di Studi Superiori (9, 15, 16, 23, 30 October 2020).
Francesco Campana and Giulio Gisondi, I malesseri della ricerca, Napoli: Istituto Italiano per gli Studi Filosofici (23-24 October 2020).
Francesco Campana, I realismi del romanzo, Napoli: Istituto Italiano per gli Studi Filosofici (29 September – 2 October 2020).
Francesco Campana, Discussion of his book The End of Literature, Hegel, and the Contemporary Novel, with Marco Aurélio Werle and Giorgia Cecchinato: 3rd Colloquium on Classical German Philosophy of UFABC and UFMT (Brazil) (7 December 2020).
Silvia Locatelli, Divers* da chi? Queer Theory e filosofia del linguaggio per un’analisi critica dello status di donne e disabili, Padova: Ripartire dalle capacità: la coesione sociale nel mondo giuridico (30 November 2020).
Francesco Campana, Fine dell’arte, fine della letteratura, fine del romanzo. A partire da Hegel, Padova: permanent seminar on German literature “Unter Palmen” (26 October 2020).
Luca Corti, The Normativity of Life in Hegel: An Organisational or a Neo-Aristotelian account?, Valencia: Workshop on Teleology in Hegel’s Logic (19-21 October 2020).
Luca Corti, The Notion of Sensation in Sellars’ Theory of Perception, 4th TiLPS History of Analytic Philosophy Workshop, Tilburg, (14-15 December 2020).
Giovanna Miolli, Por un paradigma de continuidad entre ciencia y filosofía: Hegel y la metafilosofía contemporánea, Charlas virtuales – Hegel organized by the Sociedad de Estudios Hegelianos (Chile) together with the Chilean-German Cultural Corporation of Valparaíso (20 October 2020).
Luca Illetterati, The Critique of the Power of Judgment and Hegel, as a part of a series of online talks organized by the German Philosophy Study Group (GFA/UFABC) and Postgraduate Program in Philosophy (PPG-FIL/UFABC) (13 October 2020).
Armando Manchisi, Vita buona e interazione con l’ambiente, Rome: National Congress of the Italian Society of Moral Philosophy (9 October 2020).
Silvia Locatelli, Carla Lonzi, Luisa Muraro, Adriana Cavarero: the feminism of sexual difference in Italy between the 70s and 90s, Zagabria: Women Philosophers in South-Eastern Europe – Past, Present and Future (17 September 2020).
Luca Illetterati, Nature’s Externality. Hegel’s Antinaturalistic Naturalism, Ljubljana: International Conference Hegel’s 250th Anniversary: Too Late? (9 September 2020).
Giovanna Miolli, The Challenge of Hegel’s Metaphilosophy, Liubljana: International Conference Hegel’s 250th Anniversary: Too Late? (8 September 2020).
LUCA ILLETTERATI is new member of the Editorial Committee of the «Hegel Bulletin».
DENYS KAIDALOV VISITING PHD STUDENT AT THE UNIVERSITY OF PADOVA. In October 2020 Denys Kaidalov (University of Warsaw) was visiting PhD student at the University of Padova. He held a talk entitled Hegel’s Logic of Reflexion and the Principle of Contradiction on 20 October, 2020.